Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Joy of Doing Nothing

          Technology has been a part of human existence. It has been there to make our lives easier. But don’t you think that we had relied on it too much that it made us too lazy to do things? Local libraries have been replaced by search engines. E-books have come to put back those famous novels in their respective shelves. Kids have been at home instead of going out to enjoy what the earth has to offer.  Has one been happily living a life full of complexity in this world?




            When I was young, we filled the streets with laughter. Laughter from children that were innocent beyond this cruel world. I remember the days when we ruled the street. The gang and I would run around wildly like headless ants. With minds bursting with creativity, we took chalk and did some mindless scribbles on the street. Seeing through it by the eyes of an adult would be meaningless; however, in the eyes of the child, it was art. We built and developed teamwork through playing street games that we Filipinos are fond playing like: Tago-an, pantero, Chinese garter, bahay-bahayan, Tumbang preso and all the games you can name.

             I could still remember those childish ideas; a kiss can make a girl pregnant, or the crushes that we ought not to share to anyone. The simplicity of life itself has been the origin of our happiness. That was me and my childhood days. Remembering the things on the past made me smile, but it doesn’t really matter now. What really matters is the things I have seen how the children in the present have changed. 


            Today, I could hardly see or hear the laughter that once filled the streets. I have come to a stage in my life to expect that it would be my turn to hear the gentle laughter on the streets, or reprimand those who made the scribbles on the garden wall. But, as much as I expected, the streets are empty, like a deserted ghost town. A new source has replaced that which once filled our hearts of laughter and energies that one can never imagine; the internet, video games and all the things you can explore with just a 4 cornered monitor has invaded ones home. A vast and happy world has been replaced by this tiny screen that motivated the young to stay hours in front of it. I was once captivated by its alluring beauty. I have been a good DOTA player myself during my college days. I would even sometimes skip class because of it. But as time goes by, I began to question what I did and had the courage to say, “Enough.” Good thing I was able to start my move as soon as I can, for with it I was able to graduate with flying colors. But what about those who choose to remain astray in between those 4 cornered screens?



My Drawing
           Actually there are more better things  to do once you know the ways how to spend your time productively and wisely. There was once a time when the Internet connection had gone mad and I could not browse the internet. I could not do the things I wanted to do like: facebooking, twitting, blogging and even talking to friends online. Then right at that moment I began to realize that there are still some options left to do. I knew how to draw a little, and with that I decided to use the time to draw images that popped right out from my mind. I was really enjoying my time and I had not noticed that 4 hours had passed by.  After creating my drawing, I decided to challenge my mind by going through a crossword puzzle. Wasn’t able to answer the whole puzzle; however, it did knock out a hell out from me. Technology isn’t really necessary to make one happy, for we can find joy in the simple things we do every day.



            I’m not implying that technology is bad. Technology has helped us in some ways to make our lives easier. What I would like to say is find time for yourself. Give technology a break and explore your inner self. Read a book or go out once in a while to enjoy what nature has to offer. Go to the beach and bring along your friends and loved ones. Sit down under the tree and enjoy the fresh wind. Do something that will develop your talents. Do something that brings out the child within you. In that way, you will get to know more about yourself and discover what truly makes you happy.

"The best things in life are nearest:  Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you.  Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life." --Robert Louis Stevenson




Photo Credit:

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=Child%20playing&order=9&offset=24#/d36ofqd
http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=internet%20cafe&order=9&offset=72#/dp5y0q




No comments:

Post a Comment